The size of the tumour (tumour means either a breast lump or the area of cancer cells found on a scan or mammogram)
Whether cancer cells have spread into the nearby lymph glands (lymph nodes)
If you are having any type of chemotherapy, hormone therapy or biological therapy, it is very important that you don’t become pregnant. Even if your treatment is likely to make you infertile, it may not do so straight away. The treatment could damage a developing baby so it is important for you to use reliable contraception.
After your treatment is over you could become pregnant if your treatment hasn’t affected your fertility. Some women are able to conceive once their treatment has ended. But most doctors usually advise waiting for a while.
Lumpectomy is the removal of the breast tumor (the “lump”) and some of the normal tissue that surrounds it.
Lumpectomy is a form of “breast-conserving” or “breast preservation” surgery. There are several names used for breast-conserving surgery: biopsy, lumpectomy, partial mastectomy, re-excision, quadrantectomy, or wedge resection. Technically, a lumpectomy is a partial mastectomy, because part of the breast tissue is removed. But the amount of tissue removed can vary greatly. Quadrantectomy, for example, means that roughly a quarter of your breast will be removed. Make sure you have a clear understanding from your surgeon about how much of your breast may be gone after surgery and what kind of scar you will have
In the hospital on the day of surgery,
The most common types of breast cancer include:
BREAST CANCER is the leading cause of cancer deaths among women ages 15-54, according to the National Cancer Institute, but breast cancer in young women — under age 40 — is very rare. The chances of a woman getting breast cancer in her thirties is one in 250. In her twenties it is one in 2,000.
Young children and adolescents have just a 0.1 percent chance of developing breast cancer, It’s even rarer for a child to develop invasive ductal carcinoma, which is considered to be an adult cancer.
Everyone’s breasts are different, and your breasts can change with age and at different times of the month. It’s important to get to know how your breasts normally look and feel so it will be easier to spot if there are any unusual changes for you.
If you do spot any unusual changes to your breasts you should get them checked out by your doctor.
Finding out about breast cancer signs and symptoms can help you understand what breast changes to look out for.
Lumps are vital to look out for,
Breast cancer is an uncontrolled growth of breast cells. To better understand breast cancer, it helps to understand how any cancer can develop.
Cancer occurs as a result of mutations, or abnormal changes, in the genes responsible for regulating the growth of cells and keeping them healthy. The genes are in each cell’s nucleus, which acts as the “control room” of each cell. Normally, the cells in our bodies replace themselves through an orderly process of cell growth: healthy new cells take over as old ones die out. But over time, mutations can “turn on” certain genes and “turn off” others in a cell.
Breast cancer is the top cancer in women both in the developed and the developing world. The incidence of breast cancer is increasing in the developing world due to increase life expectancy, increase urbanization and adoption of western lifestyles. Although some risk reduction might be achieved with prevention, these strategies cannot eliminate the majority of breast cancers that develop in low- and middle-income countries where breast cancer is diagnosed in very late stages. Therefore, early detection in order to improve breast cancer outcome and survival remains the cornerstone of breast cancer control.
Limited resource settings with weak health systems where breast cancer incidence is relatively low and the majority of women are diagnosed in late stages have the option to implement early diagnosis programmes based on awareness of early signs and symptoms and prompt referral to diagnosis and treatment.
Sebeccly had a myths and facts session on social media, here are some of the myths busted.
Myth: Most Breast Cancers run in families.
Fact: Only 10% of Breast Cancer are thought to be hereditary. The other 90% are largely due to lifestyle and environmental factors.
Myth:There is nothing you can do to lower your risk of developing Breast Cancer.
Fact: 90% of Breast Cancer are largely due to lifestyle. To keep your risk as low as it can be, maintain a healthy weight,
# 4 hours ago
# 1 day ago
# 1 day ago
#RP sharonrockssss I'm proud to support @Sebeccly 's #1k4cancer campaign. With over 50,000… https://t.co/4DxUd0ceid
# 1 day ago
#throwback to when the Sebeccly team, along with our founder, Dr Lola Salako, visited #Makoko… https://t.co/nQqCUlz7Cq
# 2 days ago
We’ve got so many women who are out #WCW today! To every woman we have ever screened for… https://t.co/CMylXzochs
# 3 days ago